Green team Academy
On May 24, 2021, Green Team Academy became a fiscally sponsored project of Social Good Fund, a California nonprofit corporation and registered 501(c)(3) organization, Tax ID (EIN) 46-1323531.
We empower every day people to #BeTheChange.
We help people get together, make a difference, and feel better by starting and growing thriving green teams in their communities.
We believe that every person is an expert in their own community. With a little bit of support and guidance, they can take their ideas for improvements and make them a reality.
We see people around the world stepping up to become grassroots leaders, quickly getting environmental and community initiatives off the ground and making a positive impact.
We believe that we can transform our world by offering individuals an opportunity to transform themselves and their communities.
We believe in making extra efforts to reach out to those who have been impacted most by environmental and economic inequities. We know that when we develop relationships with people in our communities and across the world, we all benefit.
What We Do
To achieve our mission, we build our community throughout the year. We offer opportunities for individuals who are enthusiastic about protecting the planet to join our community. We are different from many other organizations in that we don't just raise awareness about environmental and community issues. We inspire action and offer coaching and support so that people can successfully #BeTheChange.
April: Earth Week Summit
In April 2021, we hosted the 3rd Annual Earth Week Summit. In the virtual summit, we workshops, happy hours, and community discussions. The summit showcases grassroots leaders who are making a difference and provides opportunities for connection, collaboration, and celebration.
June: Summer Arts FUNdraiser Series
In June 2021, we hosted our 1st Annual Summer Arts FUNdraiser Series. This series runs from June 1 - August 10 and includes live arts-based events. With our community partners, we host cooking and gardening demos, painting classes, mini-concerts, and film. This is our first year partnering with South Yuba River Citizens League for Green Team Academy presents the Wild & Scenic Film Festival on August 3, 2021. Our FUNdraiser series helps fund the International Climate Action Challenge and our efforts throughout the year.
August: International Climate Action Challenge
In August 2021, we'll host our 2nd Annual International Climate Action Challenge. This is an 18-week facilitated experience to help regular people from around the world go from passion to action in 90 days. We provide structure, coaching, and accountability in a fun, accelerator-type experience.
In 2020, our top 29 teams planted 43,000 trees, started 55 gardens and two urban farms, completed 84,000 voter outreach contacts, provided typhoon relief, and held clean-ups and food drives. The challenge resulted in the formation of sustainability groups in communities around the world, including Team GREAT Golden, Fountain Together, and Drawdown Alberta.
Our goal for 2021 is to help launch 250 environmental and community initiatives and feature the top teams in our December Impact Summit. We count on community volunteers and partners to help us meet this audacious goal!
Year-round: Green Team Academy Podcast
Since our podcast began in 2019, we've produced over 120 episodes. The podcast features tips and interviews with experts and community leaders. The goal is to provide inspiration and practical advice to people who want to make a positive impact on their communities and the environment.
Consulting, Training, and Speaking
We offer services to help school districts, cities, neighborhoods, faith communities, businesses, and other groups have a bigger impact. We use the "mentor and mobilize" approach to help develop grassroots leaders. We help create networks of teams with annual plans that can increase the impact many times over, whether in school eco-clubs, for neighborhood teams, for corporate green teams, or as part of a citywide climate action plan.
- Green Team Academy was founded in 2018 by Joan Gregerson, as a project under her business, Positive Energy Works LLC, based in Denver, Colorado, USA.
- Launched Green Team Academy Podcast.
- Mentored over 20 new and existing green teams in the Metro Denver area through the Green Team Accelerator Lab. The Denver Compost Challenge and other initiatives were launched through this accelerator.
- Hosted the 1st Annual Earth Week Summit.
- Hosted the 2nd Annual Earth Week Summit.
- Joan Gregerson published the book: Climate Action Challenge: A Proven Plan for Launching Your Eco-Initiative in 90 Days.
- Hosted the 2020 International Climate Action Challenge with 122 participants from 21 countries using the method in the Climate Action Challenge book and workbook.
- Created profiles and videos and featured the top 29 teams in the 2020 International Climate Action Challenge Impact Summit.
- Hosted the 3rd Annual Earth Week Summit.
- Structure Change: Green Team Academy was spun off to operate as a nonprofit project in 2021. We are a fiscally-sponsored project of Social Good Fund, a California nonprofit corporation and registered 501(c)(3) organization, Tax ID (EIN) 46-1323531.
- Hosting the 2021 Summer Arts FUNdraiser Series including the Green Team Academy presents Wild & Scenic Film Festival on August 3, 2021.
- Hosting the 2021 International Climate Action Challenge kicking off on August 18, 2021.